I will note that the following may well be a hack from outside of Apple or it may just be a huge mistake from inside, but CNet is reporting that a number of rumor sites (including MacRumors, one of my favorites) have snippets from Macintosh users who got a glimpse of a changed page on the Apple Store last night.
The page, changed either by Apple or by some other evil force taunting Mac enthusiasts, listed the following features for the upcoming PowerMacs:
- 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz, or Dual 2GHz G5's
- Up to 1GHz processor bus
- Up to 8GB of DDR SDRAM
- Fast Serial ATA hard drives
- AGP 8X Pro graphics ooptions from NVIDA or ATI
- Three PCI or PCI-X expansion slots
- Three USB 2.0 ports
- One FireWire 800, two FireWire 400 ports
- Bluetooth & AirPort Extreme ready
- Optical and analog audio in and out Most of these are in line with the rumors that have been going around, although the processor speeds are 20-25% higher than most rumors, the maximum RAM is a bit higher, and this is the first I've seen of PCI-X.
As much as I'd love to believe it, there's something that just feels a bit wrong about this leak, but maybe it's just me trying to keep my hopes in check, since this is basically a dream configuration for most people.
One thing is clear, the data was definitely on the site in the form of the picture taken, since there were a long stream of confirmations on the various sites from both administrators and the rumor-mongering public.